Total Pageviews

Monday 21 May 2012

May 14 - 18 2012 - Brian's Vacation

Movie Part one
Movie Part two
Movie Part three
Movie four

Cruise Ship Tarka here...

Looks like I am taking Hank's Summerland friend, Brian, for a three / four day cruise around the local waters.
The plan was to sail to Kendrick Island (crossing the Strait of Georgia), but due to the high winds just before crossing, the waves were very high and would not make for an enjoyable sail over. I was happy for that, as I did not want to get beat up for 4 hours straight. :)

Winds were strong for most of the sailing times during this cruise.

Hank and Brian loaded up the cooler with food and drinks... fueled up... we set sail for Elliott Bay, our first stop over. At the Bay, we were greeted by one other sailing group... 4 old farts (just like Hank and Brian). They all had a good time, feasting, drinking and telling old stories in front of the fireplace in the cabin the club.

The next day, after a great breakfast prepared by Brian, we headed up to Gibson. The winds were strong, so I was set to my first reef with only 1/2 of my jib exposed. Average speed was round 6 knots. this gave Brian a taste of sailing, getting his sea legs ready for the sail to Kendrick Island. I was berthed at my usual spot A77. Hank and Brian set out to explore the Town, had a late lunch at Molley's Reach, came back, fueled me up and sailed back to Elliott Bay.

The sail back was a great ride to say the least... lots of wind, but little waves (:)) Brian was now learning to take control of me.. in strong winds.

The next day, the winds were strong again... Hank put in the first reef and only allowed 1/4 jib exposed. Even with that, we averaged 6 plus knots. We had a head wind up Collingwood Channel plus fighting the current as well. We set sail around 9:30 am and finally reached the open waters of the Straits of Georgia around 12:00 noon. It was a long upwind battle, but I made it!

Once we got to the open waters, the waves were very large with white caps everywhere. I was glad that Hank and Brian were discussing whether or not we proceed to Kendrick Island. I vote was taken...Yes, we are NOT going to Kendrick... we will be heading down wind, riding the waves to Snug Cove. Brian was at my helm... now learning how to ride / surf large waves. As he found out, I do not steer very well surfing down large waves when a white cap is under my keel. You have to be in constant alert at the helm.

We arrived at Snug Cove around 3:00 pm; in at my favorite berth (A07). Hank and Brian set off to the pub for a well needed beer. Hank made comment "Brian, I think the bar is moving", Brian agreed... looks like they got the sea-legs and now have to get used to being on land again. After the drinks, they headed off for a long walk to the fish ladders... great place. :)

The following day, set sail for Pam Rocks - about a 4 hour cruise. Finally a light breeze got in the right direction. Hank put up my kite... a new meaning of "go fly a kite". my kite looks and works very well... doing over 5 knots in the light breeze. This type of sailing gave Brian another perspective of sailing... calm and relaxing. We arrived at Pam Rocks, to see the seals resting on the rocks.

The winds picked up to a moderate breeze of 15 knots,  with almost no waves. We tacked all the way home with Brian at my helm. He has become a very good helmsman!

Well that ended another cruise... now sitting waiting to get washed and cleaned up for my next adventure...

stay tuned...

Tarka.

PS this is the youtube address for some of the pictures...

Some more pictures of their adventure


No comments:

Post a Comment