Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 May 2012

May 09, 2012 - Wednesday Race

Well this tops it all...!

I had to suffer through an almost gale winds (25 knots) during the Wednesday night race. Our division 5 was last runner up... good thing as our heavy boats would of caused a problem at the start line I'm sure. Plus for Hank's sake... it is a lot less stressful being the last division out... less sailboats to contend with.

Paul was Hank crew mate, working the sheets as best that he could.

Going up wind, they had me leaning to my rails most of the way, with my bow plowing through the waves, breaking over the deck. I held together OK, but I did hear sounds from my "body" that I have not heard before. (Hank checked me out after, and found all is OK). Going down wind was great!, riding the large waves... max. speed was 7.8 knots with only a reefed mainsail and small jib.

Hank made a big mistake by installing my summer 180 genoa (large jib). This sail was way to large for this type of wind, so he could only put out 50% of my sail. This is OK for cruising type sailing, but not for racing... you loose a lot of speed as my sail does not shape very well. He did pull it all the way out during the first leg, but proved to be a big mistake... over powered me to say the least. He had to pull up and furl it back in.

We rounded the mark twice, which means that we were out there a long time... too long for me, let alone Hank. We came in 4th out of 5... but we almost came in third.

Back at the dock, Hank had to give me a good wash down to remove all the salt spray, which was over my entire body.

It was great action, action that I have not seem for a long time, but in my old age now... I could do with a bit of rest; at least for a few weeks or two :).

Resting now... waiting for the Club's sailpast this coming weekend... it is where Hank gets to show me off to the club.

Til then... happy sailing.

(sorry no pictures... just too rough of weather to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment