Total Pageviews

Monday 9 December 2013

December 08 2013 - Oil change...

Well, this morning Hank came out to check on me as we had a gale coming through the marina (northerly outflow). The docks were moving around like snakes in a grassy field with our stays screaming loudly. Lucky all us boats were "snug as a bug" and rode out the storm without mishap (I think).

In addition, Hank came out to do my oil change. This is usually a very simple job, as my engine has an extractor pump mounted in front of my engine, and also my oil filter is accessed from the front as well.

My diesel engine started instantly (around -1c) using my glow plugs; Hank just needs to remember to open my raw water intake valve, BEFORE he starts the engine! After 30 seconds or so he remembered to open the valve (no raw water coming out of the exhaust is a good indicator). He now places the keys by the valve.

After running my engine for 15 minutes or so, Hank is ready to change my engine oil. Rags, filter removal tool and empty oil container all set... two pumps on the extractor pump and my pump breaks!! So much for the oil change today. Hank removed the extractor pump to see what the problem is... needless to say upon taking the pump apart, a spring bonces out of the pump and is now lost somewhere in my engine compartment... so much for the oil change.

But as luck has it... my "Pump Doctor" -  Richard Grass just happened to stop by... Hank asked him if he could repair my pump, hopefully he as a spare spring for my pump.

So much for the oil change eh!

Well for now...

Tarka sleeping in the cold.. Tarka out!


No comments:

Post a Comment