Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 July 2014

July 14 - 16, 2014 - Ganges

We all decided to sail over to Sidney Spit everyone is always talking about. Looks good, white sandy beaches... I guess this would be a nice place to anchor, but get my anchor dirty... I don't think so! So we just sailed about the area, then headed off to Ganges.

Something Hank did not take into account was the currant leaving the Spit. The current was running around 5 knots!! Plus that area the Hank chose was a bit wild... lots of small whirlpools, upheavals, making for a wild ride. Was Hank concern... a little, but my little motor kept up with the task. :)

leaving Sidney, heading out to Sidney Spit.

note the water... pulling me left and right
Going through this channel proved to be a task... I was only going 0.7 knots in places, but hey... I got through the pass.

The last leg of the trip to Ganges was super... running "wing on wing" most of the way to Ganges - going 6 plus knots.

We arrived at Ganges at late afternoon...

a picture of the little town of Ganges
Caroline and Hank explored the town, nice place, worth the visit. Lots of Arts and crafts, stores selling a lot of "home-made stuff".


The docks were well worn and in need of replacing, but worked never-the-less.



needless to say, lots of great coffee shops.

After a two day visit, it was time to say good-bye to this little town.

Need to fuel up before we leave...took about $40 to fill my tank and one 5 gallon fuel tank. ($1.69 / litre). While leaving the dock, Hank was teaching Caroline how to leave a parallel the dock without moving forward or backward. Fast learner :) Hank holds my bow on the dock, Caroline turns my rudder hard over and puts me in forward. Slowly my stern leaves the dock, then went I am far enough away from the dock, she puts me into neutral, Hank jumps aboard at the bow, and then takes over the controls. Works very well.

We've off to our next town... Telegraph Harbor (again)....

Tarka standing by...

No comments:

Post a Comment