Total Pageviews

Sunday 13 July 2014

July 11 - 2014 - Port Sydney, B.C.,

Motoring towards Samsun Narrows....

leaving Ladysmith, with "Tarkie" hanging on my stern

what ahead... flat waters


had to wait for the ferry to cross our bow.


 We have arrived at Port Sydney...

entrance to the harbour

taken of my stern
 Caroline was very tired of the trip down and was very happy to have her feet on the ground.

Hank entry into our slip (B15) was his best yet! Our slip is directly infront of the marina office, the Rummer Runners Pub, and the main entry to the docks...

One of the most important things coming into a slip is PLANNING... before, not during, the docking. Know what you should do. Well Hank planned (I think), but things happen...

While coming into the slip on a starboard tie, Tarkie was still hanging from my stern. That added an additional 12 ft to my boat length. When Hank began to make the turn into the slip, Tarkie hit the boat across from my slip... now he could not make the turn and was heading straight towards his port-side neighboring boat. The mad dash was on to prevent an accidental ramming. While running forward (barefoot!) to fend off, Hank tripped over the jib sheet, getting his toes caught in the sheet. Major rope burn! He did save a collison. but now I was sitting angled in my slip. A neighboring boat came to help and held onto my mid-ship. Hank jumped off onto the extremely hot concrete... now Hank has burnt feet as well... hoping around he did finally manage to tie my up properly. Oh ya... I also ran into the electrical plug in box... no damage.

I am sure the entire pub customers had a great show!... Well Hank is off for a well deserved beer...


stern view overlooking the marina lodge and Rum Runner's Pub
Boat parking lot
Even though we were in a boat parking lot, it was peaceful and relaxing... a good way to meet fellow boaters. Everyone is so happy with lots of stories to tell.

Besides the usual... walks, dinner, drinks, shopping around the town of Sidney, Caroline and Hank took a day trip... going to downtown Victoria via the bus.

In Victoria, my sister-ship was there... see picture below. we have lots in common, ie we sail, love the water, keep our guest happy and entertained. She is a bit bigger, but at least I am paid for.:)


jib sheet winches.
Victoria Harbor

lots going on at the waterfront.


lots of nice places to go.
They took the bus back to Sidney, going on the scenic route.

The next morning it is off to Ganges... left the dock without incident. The winds were moderate, so it should be a great sail...

Tarka now standing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment