Total Pageviews

Monday 18 March 2013

Mar 17 2013 - MORE safety items installed

Good Day all!

Only 11 days left until the big race!!!

More pulleys!
Hank is still updating and adding to my safety equipment. He has now installed the second reefing system. From my last experience in the Southern Straits Race, three years ago with the 50+ knot winds, Hank is taking more precautions to help deal with this type of high winds. The only draw back with the additional reef is that I now have another line running back to my cockpit, and makes it a bit more difficult in raising and lowering my main sail. The safety aspect is worth the extra line, plus in the summer, Hank can always removed the line

Lots of lines now on deck, but they all lead back to the cockpit.
Crew-mate +Alan Rothenbush  installing my second reefing system.
  In addition, Hank has installed an additional way of retrieving a "man-over-board". Before, he was relying on the rear ladder for getting the person out of the water; however, if the person has been in the water too long (10-15  minutes around here) their limbs would too cold to function. With the new system now installed, this will give the deck crew a block and tackle, leading to the anyone of the two speed winches, to haul the person out of the water.

The man-over-board block and tackle (just need to replace one block)




Next week I get haul out and have my black bottom painted!

That is all for now...

Tarka resting...

No comments:

Post a Comment