Total Pageviews

Monday 11 July 2011

Vacation has started!!!

Well, it has been 6 days on the water now...

First at at Elliott Bay, stayed overnight, with Hank's Brother Will coming along for the ride... It was great having Will ride my decks to Elliott Bay. He camped out on the concrete wharf right next to me. It must of been some site, seeing a tent right beside me on the wharf.
.
The next day we had a great sail to Gibson, (winds were around 15 knots), the home of the beachcombers, there, we met Robert McDonald, a good old friend of Hank. Will left for home, taking the BC Ferry back. Robert took Hank to his recording studio,and informed him of a possible business venture he and a friend was considering.

The next leg of the trip was going to be the most challenging section... going into strange new waters, waters that I never sailed before. Destination Secret Cove! The sail over was mostly motored (4 hrs). Total time from Gibson to Secret Cover 4.5 hrs. The charts, compass and GPS were right on... Hank made it there perfectly. Little Tarkie, bobbed behind me without problem, but I'm sure he took at least 1 knot from my top speed. Hank read the currents correctly... we had a 2 knot current with us all the way. Top speed was around 7.5 knts, with an average motored speed of 6.0 knots.

We arrived at Secret Cove, greeted by friendly power boaters... only two sail boat at the marina. Hank and Caroline took little Tarkie around the Cove.... they say it was a great place to explore. I'm glad that Hank returned as I was being engulf by a red and white monster of some sort. Boy, did it stink!!! (see photo). I'm glad Hank thought of using Tarkie's outboard engine to scare it away; I was worried about my beautiful black bottom.
Hank and Caroline had a great time relaxing around, great dinners at the local establishment.
Omn the second day, it was time to leave... refueled... only $15.21 of diesel fuel... at least I don't drink up the fuel like most other power boats. This saving was used up in dinners out. :)

Well after a slow start, we are off to Pender Harbor Resort, only 3.5 hours away, sailing at 3.5 knots with the 2 knot current... needless to say, light breeze. Caroline made a great lunch along the way. We arrive at the Marina without any problems. Our West Vancouver Yacht Club has a dock here, so the cost is $ 0.00. With this saving and no fuel cost, I over heard Hank saying they're going to take a 2.5 tour around the Bay with Sol Cat tours.
Well, I'm all caught up now, except for the pictures to insert.

No comments:

Post a Comment