Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Aug 02 & 04, 2014 - Afternoon sail behind Bowyer Island & Passage Island

Very hot weather - 30+ degrees

Good time for a afternoon sail / drift

My exit from the slip was one of Hank's worst yet... the currant from the BC Ferry wash, and the winds were against us. Hank backed me in out it the usual manner, but the currant caught my rudder, and pushed me over to the point that I could not make my turn down the fair-lane. Hank tried to push my stern with my motor, over but the currant was too strong... we rammed into the neighboring power boat. Lucky for us, his rubber dingy was hanging on the rear. We checked...No damage! Lesson to learn... read the water more carefully, "go with the flow".

Not much else to say on today's adventure, just that it was very hot... We set to drift behind Bowyer Island... only an hour away.

We usually go there, if there is a lot of power boats out in our area... so many waves from all directions, doesn't make it for an enjoyable sail.

Behind the island, we are on the leeside (no waves), making for a relaxing drift... having lunch.

There were a few other boats, taking the same drift, just hanging out.

A few days later, we set sail again, but for Passage Island; another HOT day!

My departure was a bit better, but not much. Hank thought he read the water flow correct... wrong! same problem and the day before, but he is not crash me into anything, :) We ended up backing out all the way.

Today was a great sail, just on the jib, sailing at 4.5 knots average. No need to raise the main sail... just relaxing. :)

Hank decided to sail up wind to Passage, then just drift back home. There were a lot less power boats = a lot less waves from the passing boats.

Home now... waiting for tomorrow... We are taking his brother and his friend Andy out for a day sail! :)

Till then...
Tarka out!

No comments:

Post a Comment